Highlighted articles, fact sheets, journals and our new book.
This section includes IEBC articles from the Chronicle of Higher Education, Harvard Education Press, Huffington Post, Hechinger, Medium and other publications; IEBC Fact Sheets on a variety of subjects, including cultural competence, statewide longitudinal data systems, and CtCC (curriculum to career choices with SmartPathways; publications such as New Directions for Community Colleges, and an important report from the California Community Colleges Chancellor and Board of Governors.
New: Inside Higher Ed features an Ashley A. Smith interview with IEBC President/CEO Brad Phillips and Vice President Jordan Horowitz about their new book, Creating a Data-Informed Culture in Community Colleges: A new Model for Educators published by Harvard Education Press. In the article, Smith discusses with Phillips and Horowitz the amount and quality of the data available to community colleges.
Read the entire Q&A session in Creating Data Faculty Can Use.
New: Moving the Needle on Community College Student Success from The Blog of Harvard Education Press, by IEBC President/CEO Brad Phillips and Vice President Jordan Horowitz. Read it here.
It’s here – A new book from Harvard Education Press: Creating a Data-Informed Culture in Community Colleges: A New Model for Educators by Brad C. Phillips and Jordan E. Horowitz. Read what others are saying about this book at Harvard Education Press or order here.
Big Data Alone Won’t Help Students by Brad C. Phillips and Jordan E. Horowitz in the Chronicle of Higher Education, points out that the information that comes out of big-data systems must be usable, useful, and actionable by educators who know how to make sense of it. This article was first published in the Chronicle of Higher Education Special Report on the Digital Campus, April 2017, highlighting the work top innovators are undertaking and where it is leading.
IEBC’S CURRICULUM TO CAREER CHOICES (CTCC) SMARTPATHWAYS™ This fact sheet presents an overview of our approach to guided pathway work, why it’s needed, how it works, and its benefits to faculty, institutions and students.
Why it is Better to Lead Than Lag: Leading and Lagging Indicators for Education (Horowitz article in IO Education).
LCAP services for local districts IO Education is partnering with IEBC to bring some new support services to California school districts with an LCAP Support Package.
Promises, Promises, Promises: Ensuring that Students are Prepared to Succeed in College: This is a preview of the about-to-be-published guide, “Authentic Collaboration to Improve Curriculum Alignment.” Based on 20 years engagement in cross-segment alignment and facilitation, this IEBC guide produces the how, what and why that pulls cross-segment alignment together. Read the Collaboration Guide Preview here.
The College Completion Agenda: Practical Approaches for Reaching the Big Goal. New Directions for Community Colleges, Jossey Bass, edited by Brad C. Phillips and Jordan E. Horowitz. Available here…
A College Completion Idea That’s So Simple. Why Aren’t We Doing It? — full article on Huffington Post.
Student Learning Outcomes and Tuning A Review of Student Learning Outcomes and the Impact of Tuning at Colleges and Universities in the United States.
Unlocking SLDS Data Robust statewide longitudinal data systems (SLDS) are vital to creating a culture of continuous improvement, but the data needs unlocking to be useful, usable, and actionable.
Improving Response Time in Education — When it comes to student performance data, are we measuring the right indicators? It may be a simple matter of timing, writes Brad Phillips.
Cultural Competence, Student Learning and Assessment Community colleges are taking bold steps to address student equity and success, including Integrating cultural competencies into student learning outcome work.
Curriculum to Career Choices, known as CtCC, is a collaborative, program-centered design process that ensures the academic learning experiences identified by faculty can align to the expectations identified by employers.
Data Coaching for Student Success Training the data coaches.
Driving Education Accountability: “I’m Sorry Officer, the Gas Gauge…” in the Huffington Post.
Student Voices New techniques for reaching them where they are.
Find additional IEBC articles in Huffington Post, Medium, Hechinger and more
- Why it is Better to Lead Than Lag: Leading and Lagging Indicators for Education — read Jordan Horowitz’s IO Education article here.
- Automatic Admission: Setting Up Students to… Succeed — read Brad Phillips’ Medium article here.
- Is Higher Education Part of Our Nation’s Inequity Problem? — read Brad Phillips’ Hechinger Report article here.
- Hiding in Plain Sight: Solutions to College Relevance — read Brad Phillips’ Medium article here.
- Hack This! —read Jordan Horowitz’s Medium post here.
- Playing “Cultural Competence” Catch-Up in Higher Education — read Brad Phillips’ Medium article here.
- Getting Evaluations Right – How to Get Better at Getting Better — read Jordan Horowitz’s Medium post here.
- State Budget Offers ‘Epic Opportunity’ for California Community colleges — read Richard Duran’s and Brad Phillips’ EdSource article here.
- Education’s “Pea in the Mattresses” – A Tale of Layers and Royal Domains — read Brad Phillips’ HuffPost article here
- Should Major Decisions Be So… Major? — read Brad Phillips’ HuffPost article here.
- Why Your Class isn’t Preparing Students for the Workforce—And What You Can Do to Fix It — full article on McGraw Hill Education.
- Bold Ideas Are Not Enough — full article on Huffington Post.
- Top 10 Education Trends to Watch in 2015 and Beyond — full article on Huffington Post.
- Top 10 Education Trends to Watch in 2015 and Beyond — condensed version of a Huffington Post education piece.
- When Education Data Speaks, Are We Really Listening? — full article on Huffington Post.
- Doing Right by Veterans on Memorial Day and Beyond — in Forbes Magazine.
- Foster Youth Switch Schools at Huge Rate — full article on EdSource.
Read more about IEBC in the News section.